(little somethin' called) Trick Bag

I've been silent for quite a long time. My last Rasols mix has been made 10 month ago, as this year I actually took a break from co-hosting the radio show. The reasons for the silence I explained here.

And finally, the material has accumulated - as I like to say, the tracks themselves just started to cry out, begging to be mixed and presented to the audience. As this year I very sparsely followed "the scene", I felt free from obligations to use the freshest and hypest material possible; on the contrary, I wanted to include some compositions that either stand aside of any scenes, or just some songs from authors very dear to me, no matter how out of place they might sound. And - surprise surprise - they actually didn't :)

At the same time, I still like the "sound of today" - liquid beats, deconstructed instrumental hip-hop, aquacrunk, call it watchalike. So here it is - an odd but integral mixture of new and old material, songs and tracks, melodies and beats, that clung together one Wednesday evening very quickly, easily and naturally. I really love the result, at the moment I think it's one of my best Rasols mixes.

The only problem I had was with Soundcloud, which detected a copyrighted track (unpleasant surprise came from FatCat Records). I was very pissed off, uploaded the mix on Mixcloud and PercussionLab, but I still did want it to be on SC where I have my largest audience. Finally I had an idea... and it worked :) See, what some vinyl crackle and EQ can do to a track ;)

So, I'm glad to finally present this 25 track collection for your listening pleasure. Hope you like it!



01. Tom Brosseau - Chandler, AZ featuring Lee Baby Sims
02. Circlesquare - Bombs Away, Away
03. Raudive - Octagon
04. Tarwater - Theme
05. Kane Ikin - Titan
06. Lisa Germano - Liquid Pig
07. Bad Rabbit - Sea Green Sea *** Limits of Control
08. Sonnymoon - Universal Appeal *** watch fantastic studio performance of this song
09. How To Dress Well - Running Back *** watch live performance
10. Thallus - Jazz For Breakfast
11. Splines - Step Up *** hats off to the saucerful of secrets - Broken Bubble collective!
12. Mono/Poly - Needs Deodorant
13. Brothers Hand Mirror - Good Grief
14. Feyorz - Leftover
15. Sorrow - My Love *** maximum respect to Sorrow
16. Zack Christ and Danaet - Frontin Alone *** enjoy the free compilation Sound Healers vol 2
17. Airhead - Lightmeters
18. My Brightest Diamond - Everything Is In Line *** Shara Worden, my love. Watch: Escape Routes | I Have Never Loved Someone | We Added It Up
19. Mala - Introduction
20. Simone White - What The Devil Brings *** watch A bunny in a bunny suit
21. Piano Interrupted - VI (Live Trio) *** watch how this track has been actually performed and recorded
22. Bill Wells and Aidan Moffat - Dinner Time
23. Slava - Swan
24. Kid Smpl - Float (Venture Remix)
25. Hatti Vatti - You (Indigo Remix) *** watch an official video for the brilliant original track

P.S. Stream it at Mixcloud if in doubt about where any of the tracks start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Вальс светлячков: история за музыкой

Yaputhma Sound System - Rīgas Disco 1996-2017. 2LP+CD. 21st Anniversary Edition - Remastered & Expanded.

Snobo Hates Jazz